The services delivered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH draw on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and tried and tested management know-how. As a federal enter-prise, we support the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. The GIZ dispatches professional experts as development workers, to contribute to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
For an assignment in Dogbo and Klouékanmè at Benin we are looking for an experienced person to fill the position as
Development worker as advisor on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene in Benin, JOB-ID : 23928
Field of activity
Along with three other development workers, you will be involved in ’ProSEHA’, the Beninese-German development cooperation programme providing support to the water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. You will work with the technical service providers of two municipalities in this field to promote hygiene among the population and improve their access to clean drinking water and better sanitation facilities.
- Assisting the municipalities with raising awareness of hygiene issues and operating sanitation sys-tems in public schools
- Helping maintain school latrines, install separate cubicles for girls and boys and maintain public latrines
- Assisting with introducing and carrying out regular inspections and maintenance of public water taps
- Providing support for monitoring the quality of household drinking water
- Helping prepare and implement pilot initiatives aimed at promoting hygiene and sanitation in ac-cordance with the plans of each municipality
You have the following skills and experience
- A minimum of three years’ professional experience in a practical setting within the water-supply, public-hygiene or sanitation sector
- Experience with planning and implementing initiatives in one or more of these sectors
- The ability to work in a team and engage in dialogue in an intercultural context
- Good French-language skills
- Overseas experience
Your profile is completed by
• Experience in delivering advisory services to municipalities
Assignment period : 24 months
Information on the place of assignment
- Place of residence : Dogbo or Klouékanmè, each with a population of approximately 100,000
- Health care : better services in Cotonou
- Shopping and local amenities : local market for daily needs, better amenities in Cotonou
- Accessibility : 2.5-hour drive to Cotonou, 50 minutes from Dogbo to Klouékanmè
- School situation and school fees : Education standards at local state schools fall far below those in Western Eu-rope ; school fees will be paid in line with GIZ guidelines
- The place of assignment is not suitable for applicants with school-age children Applicants must be prepared to live and work in remote areas.
- Accompanying family pets are not permitted.
- Applicants require a car driving license. A project vehicle (Toyota Land Cruiser or similar) is pro-vided.
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisci-plinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional quali-fication and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality, the nationality of a member state of the European Union or of Swiss.
We are looking forward to your online-application until 29.11. 2015, which you start at www.giz.de/entwicklungsdienst/de mentioning the JOB-ID : 23928 or http://j.mp/GIZ23928 . At the end of the job-description you may start the application with click at “Apply now”. If you have further questions, please, do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Nebelung, E-Mail : Vera.Nebelung@giz.de.