VSO Kenya with support from VSO International implementing Strengthening Community Participation in the Governance of Education (SCPGE) Project. The project aims at promoting more responsiveness ; transparency and accountability in the provision of quality education to children with special needs in 6 counties in Kenya. The project is aligned and contributes to VSO’s Inclusive Education Core Programme Area with a vision of having every child to enjoy life-long learning opportunities through quality education that empowers and enables them to realise their full potential and well-being. The project focuses on :
- Improving school governance, teaching and learning within the framework of Inclusive Education.
- Development of Inclusive education policies including SNE policy, ECDE policy and Inclusive Education policy and basic education curriculum reform.
- Engaging children, parents and communities so they can hold education systems to account and have greater ownership over the learning process
- Forming partnerships and networking so we can work collaboratively across the diverse education system
- Using research and advocacy to collect reliable data and evidence to create a feedback loop that encourages effective and responsive education interventions that aim to contribute towards enhanced quality of life of deaf children, deaf youth and their families.
The project will achieve this by empowering communities to support deaf children and youth in the realization of their full potential. It therefore facilitate access to quality education, create and strengthen community support systems, advocate for a supportive policy environment, and enhance economic capacity of deaf youth and their families. The SCPGE project will be implemented in 6 counties in Kenya including : Nairobi, Muranga, Kirinyaga, Isiolo and Migori, TaitaTaveta.
Skills, qualifications and experience
The successful applicant will have :
- Minimum under-graduate degree in mass communication, Public relations, social sciences, and other relevant qualifications.
- At least 5 years’ experience in management and implementation of organizational communication work and capacity building.
- Experience in development of communications strategies
- Proven experience in research and communication of researched ideas
- Familiarity with the ECD/ primary curriculum, child protection principles and disability rights is an asset
- Qualification in special needs education knowledge
- Ability to work as part of a team in an organized and flexible approach
- Good communication and ICT skills and ability to manage organization resources
- Able to commit themselves to a full-time of one year volunteering in the project
- Motivated to help others
- Ready to submit originals and copies of their Kenyan Identity card, Certificate of Good Conduct and academic certificates when required