As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of interna-tional cooperation for sustainable development. With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development work-ers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries
For an assignment as a development worker we are looking for the location Bamako in Mali for a
Development Worker to advise CSO associations on communications and net-working in the field of citizen participation, Job-ID : 25096
Field of activity
Designed to promote decentralization and state reform in Mali, the programme supports state struc-tures nationwide. To this end, it focuses on advancing Mali’s institutional reform process and on strengthening structures that will foster greater decentralisation and the effective control of public services and investments throughout the country.
The project operates concomitantly in the regions of Ségou, Mopti and Kayes on the basis of a multi-level approach (local, regional and national).
Support services are delivered in four prioritized areas of activity in compliance with the national strate-gy for strengthening decentralization :
- Improving the institutional framework conditions for decentralization
- Fiscal decentralization, local finances and financial control as a basis for more financial trans-fers to local authorities
- Promoting economic efficiency in the regions
- Strengthening mechanisms of state control and fostering citizen participation in public invest-ment projects.
This development worker assignment is designed to complement activities in the activity area commit-ted to strengthening state control mechanisms and citizen participation in public investment projects. It does so by delivering focused support on the topics of citizen control and accountability to CSO asso-ciations at the national level in Mali.
• Advise on and support communications, networking and exchanges among CSO associations at national level but also with relevant civil society actors in the regions
• Help create a network with a thematic focus on citizen participation and advise the member organisations
• Evaluate annual reports from the regions on local accountability and procedures for citizen participation and disseminate the findings nationwide
• Train member organisation staff in advocacy, communications and networking in the field of citizen participation
• Foster an exchange of experience between member organisations on various formats of citizen participation and assist associations to take part in political and public decision-making and implementation processes
• A university-level degree in political, social, communications or administrative science
• Sound professional experience with respect to cooperation with civil society organisations at local, regional and national level and an understanding of their influence on policy-making
• Pertinent professional experience in association, networking and communications work
• Hands-on experience of advocacy work and political analysis
• Very good French-language skills
• Experience in the field of organisational development
• Knowledge of the role civil society plays in citizen participation and accountability
• Knowledge of Mali
• Experience in gender work
• Knowledge of decentralisation and state reform
Assignment period : 26 months
Conditions regarding location
• Location : Mali’s capital city, Bamako
• Climate : Sahel climate, dry from October to June, of which the last three months are hot, followed by rainy period
• Health care : Good medical services available from local doctors and private clinics
• Procurement and supply situation : Local and European products in good supply
• Accessibility : Daily flight connections to Europe
• School situation and school expenses : International schools (French and US American) available
• School fees reimbursed in line with GIZ guidelines
• Security : The GIZ risk and security manager on site monitors and analyses the situation, issues secu-rity reports and advises on security precautions
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdiscip-linary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional quali-fication and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality, the nationality of a member state of the European Union or of Switzer-land.
We are looking forward to your online-application, which you start at www.giz.de/entwicklungsdienst/de mentioning the JOB-ID : 25096 or http://j.mp/GIZ25096 . At the end of the job-description you may start the application with click at “Jetzt online bewerben”.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
Entwicklungsdienst | Bewerberauswahl
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 40 | 53113 Bonn | www.giz.de
Stellenangebote unter www.giz.de/entwicklungsdienst/de