Pakistan Examination Commission (PEC)
PEC is an autonomous body set up by the Government of Punjab to assess and examine students’ learning achievements particularly at grade 5 and 8. PEC started functioning in 2005 and in 2006 conducted 5th grade population examination for the first time in the Province. Now PEC is a statutory body working under Punjab Examination Commission Act XI of 2010.
The Punjab Examination Commission functions to :
- Design, develop, implement, maintain, monitor and evaluate a system of examinations for elementary education.
- Formulate policies and programs for conducting examinations.
- Collect data from research in order to improve curricula and teaching methodology.
- Recommend strategies for capacity building teachers and educationists that in turn would improve the assessment system of students.
- Identify the areas where improvement in training of the teachers or educationists is required.
- Promote public discussions on issues pertaining to elementary education.
- Advise the Government on all policy matters relating to the objectives of the Commission.
- Approve annual research program and annual budget of the Commission.
The Commission may further :
- Issue instructions or guidelines to a local Government for data collection and conduct of an examinations at elementary education level.
- Register students for the purpose of elementary education examinations and maintain their data.
- Conduct and outsource research into elementary education examinations
There are three teams within PEC who deliver its core functions (1) An Administration and Finance Team, (2) An Assessment Team and (3) A Research and Analysis Team. This role will be cross-cutting but managed by the Research and Analysis team.
The PEC has an up to date website and further information can be obtained by visiting http://www.pec.edu.pk/
To work with PEC to design a new monitoring and evaluation strategy