You wouldn’t work in education if you weren’t serious about making a real difference to people’s lives.
Have you considered sharing your skills and experiences in some of the world’s poorest communities ?
As a VSO volunteer, you’ll be building new relationships with local partners and education professionals. You’ll immerse yourself in a new culture and develop your teaching expertise whilst doing something truly fulfilling.
“You can really understand the essence of being a teacher, sharing your professional knowledge to help other people.”
Simon, VSO volunteer, Rwanda.
You’ll work with local colleagues in the Department of Education’s Curriculum Development and Assessment Division. There, you’ll provide support to develop the new primary English syllabus and teacher training guides.
Writing, editing, training, analysing research and mentoring writers, you will bring primary English technical advice to ensure the new syllabus is high quality, relevant to PNG and raises standards in literacy.
“Many basic things are brand new here, like showing lecturers what a ‘word wall’ is – nearly every primary classroom in the UK has one to help children spell.”
Kate Evans, VSO volunteer, PNG.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate certificate in education and /or master’s degree in education or other social science preferred
- Experienced primary or lower secondary English teacher with specialism in reading and writing
- Native speaker of English
- Tactful facilitator and trainer
- Experience of writing training materials
- Wide knowledge of children’s literature
- Experience in PNG or another developing country
- Experience of curriculum design and implementation
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date
31 Mar 2016