You wouldn’t work in education if you weren’t serious about making a real difference to people’s lives.
Have you considered sharing your skills and experiences in some of the world’s poorest communities ?
As a VSO volunteer, you’ll be building new relationships with local partners and education professionals. You’ll immerse yourself in a new culture and develop your teaching expertise whilst doing something truly fulfilling.
“You can really understand the essence of being a teacher, sharing your professional knowledge to help other people.”
Simon, VSO volunteer, Rwanda
You’ll be based in one of PNG’s teacher training college working as part of a team of volunteers helping to improve the teacher training of primary English, Maths and Science.
The role sits within a programme of work supporting teacher education nationally. You will train student teachers, mentor lecturers and help to develop new learning units and resources.
You’ll gain experience of how education systems function in low resource settings and directly help to improve PNG’s education system, tackling one of the root causes of poverty.
“Many basic things are brand new here, like showing lecturers what a ‘word wall’ is – nearly every primary classroom in the UK has one to help children spell.”
Kate Evans, VSO volunteer, PNG.
We are looking for 10 qualified teacher trainers to support us in this exciting program.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate certificate in education and /or master’s degree in education or other social science preferred
- Teacher training / mentoring experience e.g. Experience in teacher training college or professional organisation or as a head of department or senior teacher
- At least 5 years’ experience as early years, primary or lower secondary teacher
- Ability to demonstrate excellent practice in the classroom
- Fluent English proficiency
- Knowledge of primary or lower secondary English and Maths teaching and assessment
- IT skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
Please note that applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis.
To learn more about PNG & our volunteers’ experience, you can also view more details at : http://www.vsointernational.org/fighting-poverty/where-we-work/papua-new-guinea
Please note that applicants will be interviewed in a rolling basis.
To know more about PNG & our volunteers’ experience, you can also view more details at : http://www.vsointernational.org/fighting-poverty/where-we-work/papua-new-guinea
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date
31 Mar 2016