VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
The purpose of this placement is to support the Department of Finance, ICT Division to build their regional IT capacity, leading to an improvement in the quality of financial management at sub national level.
Sixteen volunteer ICT advisers will support the ICT Division, Department of Finance and each will be assigned one province. (The provinces will be determined by the Finance Division ). However, it is envisaged that the volunteers will also be able to provide support to other provinces within the region, as required.
The Organic Law on Provincial and Local Level Governments was passed by the Parliament of Papua New Guinea in 1995 and implemented from 1997. Major financial management and planning functions were devolved to the provinces, districts and local level administrations, and this was accompanied by expanded budget allocations for sub-national governments.
The Provincial Capacity Building (PCaB) Programme aims to strengthen the quality of financial management at sub-national levels through : training and mentoring of staff, facilitating coordination of budget planning, management, implementation and financial functions, supporting the effectiveness and computerization of treasury functions through training, and the dissemination of effective approaches to financial management.
The main outcomes of the programme are envisaged to be sustained improvements in financial management capacity, the provision of timelier and more accurate financial reporting, and improvements in the effectiveness of treasury management systems, and incorporate more effective use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT).
The incumbent will work under the direct/indirect supervision of the National Programme Coordinator/Training & Coordination Support Advisor (TCSA) and the ICT Support Advisor (ICTSA) with close consultation with the respective Assistant Secretaries
Placement Objectives :
• Provide ICT technical support to the Provincial Treasuries and Administrations in their respective region area, in coordination with the ICT Division of the DoF, especially solving issues related to PGAS\IFMS system and other software\hardware difficulties.
• Provide training through mentoring, coaching and on-the-job training to ICT local counterpart in each of the provinces within the provincial & district treasuries offices.
• Survey, assess and report on site IT proficiency to identify the immediate training requirements deemed necessary to the respective sub-national agencies ;
• Assist in the coordination and delivery of Basic Computer Skills Training (BCST) across sub-national levels and LLGs, including the preparation of training manuals, exercises and assessments, taking into account the training strategies outlined by the TCSA/ICTSA ;
• Provide continuous technical support to the established computer training room facilities, site advisors (PCaB) and to the Provincial/District Treasury offices when deemed necessary and approval endorsed by the Project Coordinator.
• Provide technical support to the Provincial and District Treasuries and Administrations in their networking and connectivity issues/problems, facilitating the access of share drives, printers and other resources.
• Other tasks as required by the Project Coordinator.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
You will have a bachelors degree in information technology or a related discipline. You will also have :
• Minimum of two years of relevant working experience ;
• Demonstrated skills/experience in LAN/WAN and TCP/IP ;
• Demonstrated skills/experience in Microsoft Windows 2000/2003/2008 Server Administration ;
• Demonstrated skills/experience in Microsoft Windows XP/7/8
• Demonstrated proficiency in office productivity software ;
• Highly-developed interpersonal skills ;
• Demonstrated experience in providing on-the-job or classroom based training, coaching and mentoring ;
• Highly developed time management, resource management and report-writing skills
You will be fluent in English and skilled at delivering presentations and training courses.
Interview will be conducting on a rolling basis.
Please note that funding for this project is secured.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to build IT capacity at national and sub national level, working with an enthusiastic local team. To know more about PNG & our volunteers’ experience, you can visit our link at http://www.vsointernational.org/fighting-poverty/where-we-work/papua-new-guinea or type in Papua New Guinea on VSO international website. You also read this editorial by 50Connect : 50connect.co.uk (Web), 14/10/2014, Unattributed Beyond cruises : your alternative retirement travel options Volunteering Geoff and Paula Williams running a class with VSO in Papua New Guinea. http://www.50connect.co.uk/articles/beyond-cruises-your-alternative-retirement-travel-
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date : 30 Apr 2016
Interview/Assessment date(s) : November 2015
Start date : March 2016