You wouldn’t work in education if you weren’t serious about making a real difference to people’s lives.
Have you considered sharing your skills and experiences in some of the world’s poorest communities ?
As a VSO volunteer, you’ll be building new relationships with local partners and education professionals. You’ll immerse yourself in a new culture and develop your teaching expertise whilst doing something truly fulfilling.
“You can really understand the essence of being a teacher, sharing your professional knowledge to help other people.”
Simon, VSO volunteer, Rwanda.
You’ll work alongside local colleagues within the Department of Education’s Teacher Education Division (TED). Your role will focus on developing the Department of Education’s policy for primary teacher recruitment and teaching standards to increase the quality and quantity of primary teachers in Papua New Guinea.
You’ll gain experience of how education systems function in low resource settings and directly help to improve PNG’s education system.
“Many basic things are brand new here, like showing lecturers what a ‘word wall’ is – nearly every primary classroom in the UK has one to help children spell.”
Kate Evans, VSO volunteer, PNG.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- A Bachelor’s degree or post-graduate certificate in education and /or master’s degree in education or other social science preferred
- Teacher training skills
- Experience of working within early childhood or primary education system
- Ability to adapt, simplify, test and make relevant training materials
- Knowledge of research and policy review, including monitoring and evaluation against standard
- Knowledge of effective primary teacher training curriculum
- Course writing skills
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date
31 Mar 2016