Job title : Project Coordinator « Fruit Supply Chain Development for Ananas and Guava in the Mekong Delta »
Arrival date of the Volunteer : December 2016
ASSIST is an innovative, self-sustained international NGO focused on capacity building for social improvement and sustainable development with our core advocacies directed towards addressing problems specific to sectors such as the Environment, Agriculture, Aquaculture, Energy, Education…
We have significant experience in project implementation and management across multiple countries and has extensive knowledge on working with multi-national agencies such as the ADB, UNEP, UNICEF, Word Bank, IFC, USAID, DEG/KfW and the EU. Headquartered in the Philippines, ASSIST has offices and employees in India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Cambodia and also manages projects in over 15 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Les Vergers du Mekong works with small family-owned local farms in Vietnam to produce juice and jam under the brand name « Le Fruit » and small-batch roasted coffee, organic Tea under the brand name « Folliet ». Les Vergers du Mekong is present in Vietnam and Cambodia.
Aim of the mission
ASSIST will implement the grant project called as “Fruit Supply Chain Development for Ananas and Guave in the Mekong Delta” on behalf of LES VERGERS DU MEKONG is a PPP (Public Private Partnership) project co-founded by the German Development Bank DEG and LES VERGERS DU MEKONG.
The project aims at doubling fruit supply tonnage from 2,000 to 4,000 MT within 3 to 4 years in the Mekong Delta region as well as creating fruit collection centers and training of agriculture advisors, and improving the quality of fruit through plant selection and organic fertilizers. This will enable more farmers to sell their production successfully as clean fruit as well as generate income stability by growing crops that generate higher income (e.g. pineapples and guava).
The overall objective of the project is setting up the right organization and network to extent the fruit supply chain area in Vietnam and Cambodia in terms of capacity and through creation of fruit collection centres, training of agricultural advisers and investigators, improved logistic etc. At the same time fruit quality has to be improved through adequate measures.
Position and role of the volunteer in the project
The volunteer will be the Project Coordinator under the direction of Les Vergers Du Mekong and ASSIST Cambodia.
Scope of work
- Set up and manage a pilot farm (5 Ha) in Cambodia (10 km away from Phnom Penh).
- Prepare the land for the production of Pineapple, guava and other tropical fruits. This includes the growth monitoring and crops supervision.
- Set up a fruit collect network to supply a processing plant located in the Mekong delta region of Vietnam
- Establish a training center of Cambodian farmers
- Organize the selection of neighbouring farms and provide support for their development. Objective is to have 50 producers by Year 2 of the project.
- Support and project coordination of the project in Vietnam (Cantho)
- Workplace : Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The pilot farm is based 10km (45min by motorbike) away from Phnom Penh.
- Regular travels to Vietnam.
- Working hours and requested disponibilities : 40 hours per week
- Mean of transportation : Motorbike
- Accomodation : Provide by the hosting organization (or accomodation allowance provided)
- Agronomist engineer, agricultural experience.
- Experience in Asia is a plus.
- Project Management skills
- Training and coaching skills
- Initiative, Creativity
- Facilitation skills
- Writing skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Advanced computer skills
- International Solidarity Volunteer (VSI) status
- Monthly Allowance : 844 euros/month + housing allowance
Send you resume and cover letter to Mathieu Vergez, ASSIST Country Manager Cambodia & Myanmar : firstname.lastname@example.org before October 28th