VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO Kenya with support from VSO International implementing Strengthening Community Participation in the Governance of Education (SCPGE) Project. The project aims at promoting more responsiveness ; transparency and accountability in the provision of quality education to children with special needs in 6 counties in Kenya. The project is aligned and contributes to VSO’s Inclusive Education Core Programme Area with a vision of having every child to enjoy life-long learning opportunities through quality education that empowers and enables them to realise their full potential and well-being. The project focuses on :
- Improving school governance, teaching and learning within the framework of Inclusive Education.
- Development of Inclusive education policies including SNE policy, ECDE policy and Inclusive Education policy and basic education curriculum reform.
- Engaging children, parents and communities so they can hold education systems to account and have greater ownership over the learning process
- Forming partnerships and networking so we can work collaboratively across the diverse education system
- Using research and advocacy to collect reliable data and evidence to create a feedback loop that encourages effective and responsive education interventions that aim to contribute towards enhanced quality of life of deaf children, deaf youth and their families.
The project will achieve this by empowering communities to support deaf children and youth in the realization of their full potential. It therefore facilitate access to quality education, create and strengthen community support systems, advocate for a supportive policy environment, and enhance economic capacity of deaf youth and their families. The SCPGE project will be implemented in 6 counties in Kenya including : Nairobi, Muranga, Kirinyaga, Isiolo and Migori, TaitaTaveta.
- Convene cross functional working groups to develop appropriate policies and recommended ways of working to address identified gaps and then recommend how they can become embedded as business as usual.
- Ensure that partner organizations are continually aware of, and able to respond to, changing funding landscape and areas for focus
- Ensure knowledge and information sharing across VSO and partners to better leverage emerging funding experiences and insights
- Support partner organizations with knowledge on how to manage funding consultants – identifying priority work, terms of reference, recruitment and management of these consultants.
- Support partner organizations in the analysis and engagement in various forms of resource mobilizations and the importance of diversification of funding opportunities.
- Participate in various forums on behalf of VSO and partners to share learning, harmonize processes and support a VSO Kenya wide approach to mobilizing resources and building strategic partnerships.
Skills, qualifications and experience
The successful applicant will have :
- Proven track record of matrix / task management of multi-disciplinary, cross organizational teams for specific resource mobilization deliverables
- Proven, demonstrable experience of securing funding – from contractors, donors, and fund managers for commercial and grant opportunities
- Experience of negotiating partnerships between parties, including teaming agreements and sub-awards and procurement contracts
- Strong analytical skills and experience in data analysis
- Experience creating legal and programmatic content for institutional bids
- Proven ability to communicate confidently, transparently and clearly to multiple internal and external stakeholders – ability to effectively influence internal and external audiences
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, spot opportunities and think creatively and strategically
- Ability to be self-directed and take initiative within organizational mandates – strong administrative and organizational skills
- Educated to post-graduate degree level in international development-related discipline
- IT skills including fluency in Microsoft Office suite and database usage
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Ability to travel regularly to provide support